I’m winding down from an amazing long weekend visiting my parents in South Carolina (a related post is nigh!), and I’m gearing up for birthday celebrations tonight with cupcakes, champagne and a few of my dear lady friends.
In honor of the 24th year of my life, here are 24 serious and silly things that I am absolutely thankful for. I’m sure I’ve missed a few important things, but that happens when you get old.
24 Thing I am Thankful For:
- My parents, who have in some large or small way made all of the next 23 things possible and who believe in me and love me no matter what.
- Jeff, my very best friend and the most amazing person I know. You make me want to be a better person and you’re the best sous chef in the world. I love you!
- My friends: there are those who’ve been around forever, those who weave in and out and those who are new to my life. I love and cherish you all and the happiness and support you give me is indescribable!
- Hank! He is often the best and brightest part of my day! Rescue, rescue, rescue – you’ll never have an animal who loves you more.
- My job – I can’t believe I’ve been here for well over a year, doing what I love and constantly learning about the industry and myself along the way.
- My health – what an amazing thing to have. Here’s to taking care of myself in years to come!
- Being debt free, including from student loans. (*see #1)
- My love of cooking. I’m lucky to have found this passion amidst the burgeoning food culture – from growing to cooking to dining out, there is an endless supply of learning to do about something I enjoy so much.
- Geoffrey Graybeal, who falls into #3, but was also the mentor who assigned blogging which led to Cody Uncorked. You da best, Graybs.
- The Internet!!!!!!!! So many reasons, so little time. Here are just a few: Twitter, Pinterest, Buzzfeed, WordPress, Gmail, Google (I had a custom birthday homepage today, y’all!!!), Facebook, ATIAC…
- The right to vote. Exercise it.
- My iPhone. Seriously! Even though my screen cracked just days short of owning it for 2 years with absolutely zero damage, it has been a lifesaver and the best kind of timewaster.
- Lavender – the smell, the color, the taste… I can’t get enough.
- My education! Wow, it was weird to realize that my 17 years of uninterrupted, organized learning came to an end. Then it dawned on me that learning is never finished, that education is a lifelong process and that I know about .00000000001% of things there are to know.
- The Georgia Bulldogs!!!!!!!!!!
- Lauren Rose Clark – you’ve guided me through 5 years of hair mishaps and always provide an invaluable form of therapy with your amazing listening skills. See you in November!
- xoJane.com. If you need a laugh, a cry, a tutorial for eyeliner or just a different perspective on life, visit this site right now. It is an amazing collection of stories and opinions from women (and men!) experiencing various stages of crazy, and I love it.
- Bacon. Especially from Pine Street Market.
- Instagram. If you don’t want to see pictures of food and Hank, don’t even bother looking me up.
- Brunch – one of few widely accepted reasons to drink champagne in the morning!
- This video, which is how I think EVERYONE should start the day. The world would be a better place!
- Going back, again, to #1: my mom, who has lovingly reminded me to tackle stressful situations one task at a time and to always take care of my teeth.
- You, dear readers! Your clicks and your likes and your comments and your kind words in person are like little shooting stars reminding why I love to share my life with you via Cody Uncorked!
Sending warm and glowy birthday love,