This soup has all my favorite flavors of Asian cuisine – coconut, chili peppers, lemongrass and a touch of lime. It’s also super easy, so it’s perfect to make for a weeknight dinner. And the best part? The leftovers are even better than the night you make it!
Coconut Lemongrass Soup
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (I forgot these in this batch)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional!)
- 3 tablespoons lemongrass paste (find near the herbs!)
- 2-3 tablespoons Thai chili sauce
- 2, 14-oz cans coconut milk
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 16 oz vermicelli noodles (or less, depending on how soupy or noodle-y you want it)
- sliced scallions
- lime wedges
Slice the bell pepper and mushrooms, then add to a pot with a tablespoon or so of olive or coconut oil. Next, add both types of peas along with the fish sauce, lemongrass paste, chili sauce and some salt and pepper. Stir to coat and let sauté for a few minutes.
Add the coconut milk and chicken stock, then bring to a boil. Place the noodles in the pot and boil until cooked through – ours only took about 5 minutes! Add the chicken, extra stock if needed and salt or soy sauce to taste. Top each bowl with a few scallions and a wedge of lime.